The things we are taking
We thought long and hard about what to take, and in the end a list and photo of the equipment is set out below. To keep to ‘carry-on’ luggage it all has to fit into two Osprey 40 litre backpacks. We’ve spent ages paring it all down and down, but probably still both have too much in. Paul’s only packing one pair of shoes and flip flops but they still take up a good deal of his available space! The difficulty is that you don’t really know what you’re going to use or want – we’re probably bringing all the wrong stuff!
- Mosquito net
- Sleeping bag liner (doubles as sheet)
- Hook (to attach mosquito net in ceiling)
- Water bottle with filter capability
- Padlock & cables
- Passport & electronic copy of birth certificate and passport photo
- Bank cards
- Insect repellent & bite extractor kit
- Sun screen (enough for a couple of days)
- Hair brush
- Tooth brush
- Minimal other toiletries
- Ear plugs
- Phone & earphones (2)
- Laptop (SurfaceGo) all with adapter & charging cables
- Thin coat
- Swimming trunks
- Shoes, trainers & flipflops
- Underwear and sleepgear
- Shortes (2), trousers (3)
- Shirt (1), polo (2), T-shirt (4)
How we finance the trip
Saved up money and rent from our house.
We have a budget based on flights plus an average daily accommodation, travel, living and entertainment amount for each country. There is no plan to work or do anything really tough (except perhaps some house sitting to take care of a few animals).
Check back in as the trip goes on to see what we forgot to take, what was useless and how the money is lasting.